Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Weekend Reflections - 2


A New Easter Tradition.
I got this idea from Noel Piper's book: "Treasuring God in our Traditions". Early in the week, I made some homemade playdough (recipe in the book). The next morning rolled the dough out and made a little mountain with a cave on the side. This was a little Mt. Calvary and the cave was the tomb of Jesus. I took the kids outside to find little stones to line the pathway to the place of the cross.. and also a large one to cover the tomb. They had ball doing this.. Playing with rocks, Sammy's favorite. We cooked it so that it would be hard. Then we decided to paint it to make it look more like a mountain. This was fun.. a little messy which of course is ALWAYS MORE FUN! We made a little cross out of sticks. I made a little stick figure out of pipe cleaner to resemble Jesus. I thought that we would walk through the scriptures according to what happened each day.. but instead ended up just overviewing all of it each day..
It is such a delight so see the kids learning truths and memorizing verses. My hope and prayer is that they would see and hear that (Steve and I) our lives are centered on the Gospel. And they would come to repent, follow, love and center their own life on Christ.

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

What a fantastic idea to do with the kids! My mother was always into stuff like this when we were kids and they are still memories I cherish...thanks for sharing your new tradition and the adorable photos!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Lisa,
It was a lot of fun. When did you start at Southern? Do you have any ideas from growing up you can share?
Thanks for the comment.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Homemanager said...

Linda,
I love what Noel Piper has to say about traditions. I haven't finished reading her book yet! It is one that I was actually reading outloud with my older children. I figured it might be good for them to start thinking about such things. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home