Thursday, March 02, 2006

Taking refuge in the Lord.

How awesome is our God that He is faithful to His Word.

Yesterday, I had such a sweet moment where a couple of scriptures came to life:

Psalm 119:11 Your word I have treasured in my heart,That I may not sin against You.


Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

As you can probably guess having three kids under the age of 3 makes for an interesting and active house. Yesterday was a typical day. Right about dinner time, all of my little kiddos were operating in 5th gear and so was I. Dinner was on the stove and the table was being set when Sam had not gotten what he wanted. So he started in with his typical tempertantrum of whines that are always intensified by hunger. I was trying to handle my son and not burn dinner which will help solve his problem. My usually happy 'Juju Bean' was crying and crying... steadily increasing in her volume. Gabi decided to come to me with her 50 consecutive "why" questions. My head was spinning. Now, I have a break point which is usually set off by a combination of the chaos and volume level. Well we reached it yesterday. Usually this is when I fall into sin. The pressure cooker is cranked to high and what comes out is not pretty. I quiet my children (the older 2) with a loud and cross word. This response leaves me with guilt and shame. My conscience doesn't let me go on very long before I have to ask for their forgiveness.
All to the Glory of God... this did not happen yesterday. I held my tongue and thought about Psalm 18:2. The Lord is my God, my shield, my refuge. I don't need quiet. I need Him. I don't need order. I need the Lord in this moment to be my refuge. Not only from the noise and craziness but from the sin that still lingers in my heart. Oh how that calmed my heart and my mind. What a great God! Following Him, Leaning on Him, Resting on the truth of His Word made me free from my former reaction of anger.
Usually after the kids go to bed, Steve and I get a chance to talk about how my day went. I was so thrilled to say that the Word I have hidden in my heart kept me from sinning againt the Lord and my children. To Him be the Glory!

3 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Patti,

Praise Him for continuing to mold us lumps of clay for His use and glory.

Of those 6, how many girls and boys?

In Christ,
Linda

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Homemanager said...

Hello Linda and Patti,
It looks like I followed you over here! :o)
Thanks for the post Linda. The Lord has been impressing me with how important it is that Word of God is being stored in my heart. I have memorized 4 chapters so far and I have found as I meditate on them, that there is a peaceful ordering that comes into my heart and I can see beyond my circumstances.
This weekend I will be attending a women's conference where the speaker has memorized 100 chapters of scripture! The thing that I was most impressed about when I met her (at a pre-conference meeting) was the joy that she has. Made me want it too! :o)

Patti,
Isn't it a blessing to have a big family! :o) I have 4 girls and 1 boy. ranging in age from 18, 16, 12, 8, 5.
My boy is 8.
What kind of sewing do you do? Do you have any pretty patterns for women/girls?
God Bless!

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Linda-
Your conclusion tonight was so powerful. Thanks. That is definately a good topic to pursue, especially as we evalute ourselves and how we can be better preparing ourself for the (maybe)near future.

Elisabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home