Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oh Sacred Head

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
Oh what a sweet song and sweet words about my Sweet Savior!

O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown;
How pale Thou art with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn!
How does that visage languish, which once was bright as morn!

What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered, was all for sinners’ gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! ’Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee.


The Lord, King, Creator God who was blameless took my blame. The only One to whom all glory and honor should be given.. I mocked, scorned and turned my back to. He spared me from what my ignorant and hateful actions justly deserved and took the punishment on Himself. What a thought! What a King! What a Savior!
A tear comes to my eye when I sing that last verse I quoted: Make me Thine forever! Never let me outlive my love to Thee!
Overwhelmed by His Goodness to me, wicked sinner!
Goodnight.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Kenan said...

I like that hymn. It is definitely an upcoming Monday "song of the week" at my blog.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I have tears in my eyes reading those lyrics... They are so rich!

Sin and grace: two subjects I hope I never lose the knack of.

You're quite welcome for the church advice. I genuinely love Sojourn, and they genuinely love the Word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home